We are pleased to be a part of the community and to offer our brand of authentic Thai cuisine to our most respected guests. I would like to share some information with you that will offer some insight about me, my family, and my background of how Chalit’s Thai Bistro came to be in the fall of 2009.
I was born and raised in Bangkok, Thailand. Both my parents work for Saint John’s College as cook that’s where they met. My dad retired many years ago, but my mom is still working and enjoying her work taking care of cooking for the owner of the school’s family. I was very fortunate to get a scholarship from Acharn Samai Chinnapha, the owner of the school, to sponsor my education. I attended school at Saint John’s from kindergarten through high school (Saint John’s College of Commerce) then transferred to Assumption University for a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing. Upon graduation, I returned to Saint John’s, as a Purchasing Manager.
It was always my dream to be able to study abroad, but many times, plans had to be postponed, due to many circumstances. At last, my journey began when I moved to Los Angeles in August 1999, to finish my masters’ degree. While completing my masters’ degree, I had the opportunity to work in many great Thai Restaurants in Los Angeles. I held various positions and made so many great friends and created lots of wonderful memories. I enjoyed and cherished all those times, and I gained a lot of insight into food and the many aspects of the foodservice business.
After graduation, I joined Morgan Stanley, a fortune 500 investment company, as a Financial Advisor. I thought it was the dream job that I had hoped for since I was a kid, to be in the financial industry. I learned so much about Investment banking, and after one year with the firm, I came to realize that it was not the career path for me. I resigned from Morgan Stanley and spent most of my time searching for my passion career path. It wasn’t until Jim (my partner of 10 years) had the job opportunity to relocate to Harrisburg, PA with his employer, did the real journey begins.
I have never lived anywhere else but in Los Angeles, since I moved to the U.S.A. At first, it was a real shock, leaving the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles, but I quickly fell in love with the Harrisburg area. What a wonderful environment, friendly people, and a quality of life.
During this transition period, I realized I had developed a passion for cooking. Many times I would prepare Thai dishes, add some of my family’s spicy recipes, and would share with our friends and neighbors. I loved their response to my efforts and soon realized that I too enjoyed the pleasure enough to begin the venture of opening a Thai Bistro, something I would have never thought of in my wildest dreams. The whole process was like a dream, the various stages, and learning, but with many hours of sweat, tears, and fear, I was able to start my first business.
I couldn’t have accomplished my dream without the help and guidance from some dear people that I would like to introduce you to:
* My parents – who demonstrated that integrity, hard work, caring, and love, are truly the foundation of a person.
* The Chinnapha’s family, they are like my second family, helping to shape my life, affording me the education, and offering me the opportunity to a better life. I am forever grateful.
* My partner Jim, who has been there for me through ups and downs and lead me to Harrisburg where my life and career started again, as I was able to discover my passion.
* My many friends, whom I shared my experiences, laughter, and tears. Thank you for being such a big part of my life.
* Momentum Fitness – Joe and Leighann, who gave me the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to start my first business. I will always be grateful.
* My staff – I am so thankful and privileged to have so many talented and dedicated staff to round out the business. I love, respect, and enjoy working with all of them. Thank you so much for being a part of my dream.
Thank you for sharing a moment with me and “thank you” so much for your business. You will always have my promise that I will do my best to continue serving the freshest, most delicious Thai food for the greater Harrisburg community.